[NSRCA-discussion] TP 1010C & Extreme pack(s) feedback needed

AtwoodDon at aol.com AtwoodDon at aol.com
Mon Sep 3 16:42:20 AKDT 2007

Ihncheol

My experiences with the TP5300s and TP1010C pretty much echo Rex's  below. My
 2 TP5300 Prolites have over 160 and 180 cycles  respectively.  And like Rex
mentioned, they are starting to get a little  'tired' but I still have plenty
of capacity for a P07 sequence with an 11 pound  plane.

I like the functionality of the TP1010C and the safety features when used  in
conjunction with the TP210V balancer.  The combination provides  protection
against overcharging an individual cell, etc.  I have had no  problems with
wrong cell counts, under-voltage issues, etc.  However, I  don't charge using a
12V battery as the source.  I use AC at our flying  field, or a generator when
at a field without the AC luxury.

I would like to also add, no matter what charger/balancer combination you
use, make sure it has an active safety feature to  terminate charging in case of
any over voltage issues!!!

Having said all that, I will add I am disappointed in the accuracy of the
TP210V balancers.  I find them to be inaccurate in their individual cell
voltage reporting and associated balancing activities.  If the TP210V reads  the
cells inaccurately, it will also balance inaccurately.  I tested the  cell
voltages with a calibrated Fluke DVM and both my TP210Vs read 2 cells  inaccurately
(both read 2 cells low) which causes unnecessary balancing to occur  near the
end of the charge cycle.  While the error is pretty small, the  TP210s try to
terminate balancing with all the cells within .005V of each  other so any
minor errors reading voltages can lead to significant unnecessary  balancing
activity.  This causes the TP210V to get extremely hot near the  end of a
charge/balance cycle.  I usually pull the packs off charge/balance  as soon as the
TP1010C finishes the charge cycle.  I find the cells are  very close to balance
even tho the TP210V is still trying to balance.   However, I will not charge
without the balancers due to the protection they  provide.

I have also tried the Hyperion LBA6 balancers and they have the same issue
of reading cells inaccurately as does the LBA10 I tested.  Until someone
figures out how to build a balancer that measures cells accurately, we will be
faced with this issue.

Don Atwood

.In a message dated 9/3/2007 3:22:49 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,