[NSRCA-discussion] Snaps & Spins

J N Hiller jnhiller at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 27 09:04:07 AKDT 2007

Question for Earl Haury.

Earl, I saved and reread your explanation of snap and spin characteristics.
I must admit I was skeptical about getting a track change sufficient to
warrant a downgrade when leading elevator is applied in a snap roll.
I got to fly yesterday in light wind and temperatures in the mid to upper
40's and tried several upright horizontal snaps leading with elevator. I
don't fly a horizontal snap in advanced but I thought it a good test to
determine the associated horizontal track change. It is hard for me to judge
critically while flying but I could not detect a tendency to climb prior to
rotation. It all happens quite fast but I consistently experienced a
descending exit much more noticeable than the expected heading change. I
suspect the descending track is a result of excessive rudder pitching the
nose down at the first 90 degrees of rotation. What do you think?
I have always found thumb training challenging and pulled power with rudder
a couple times, which resulted in an increase in roll rate (R-Snap) and
unpredictable over rotation, like 45 degrees right now. I would have
expected the prop wash over the stab during 'power-on' to support the snap
but unless I am seeing things it has the opposite effect, at leas when there
is significant airspeed. I find this intriguing but trying to understand it
is making my head hurt.
Any additional insight you care to share would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Jin Hiller