[NSRCA-discussion] Snaps expanded

george w. kennie geobet at gis.net
Thu Oct 25 10:05:44 AKDT 2007

Speaking of the AeroFly Pro Deluxe, I was on mine last nite experimenting
with snaps after reading all the good stuff that Earl sent to the list and
to say it was a revelation is an understatement.
I flew the Giles 202 TOC bird ( the big blue one w/ the flag on it, {my
buddy says that it was Jason's TOC plane}). Anyway, this thing is so
inherently unstable that the C.G. must be under the stab, but it snaps like
no tomorrow.
I tried several different scenarios. First, I tried the accepted elevator
first method and got the usual responce, i.e., some departure from the
flight path and return to same demonstrating the break w/ coning of the nose
and tail around the track w/ acceptable recovery and slight correction
req'd. Then I remembered Jack stating that in some airframes the break may
be all but imperceptable, so I tried a different approach.
These efforts were all performed with the airplane traveling straight and
level at close to full speed at initiation.
 I got the bright idea of attempting the maneuver without a pitch break,  so
next attempt was just aileron and rudder,  same speed, same attitude, same
inputs, just  minus the elevator. I got a result that appeared to me to be
remarkably similar to the full 3 axes input effort, departure from the
flight path, coning of the nose and tail, but the autorotation was quicker
and more violent resulting in an additional 1/2 turn in the roll axis. The 3
axes input maneuver was much more controllable.Astounded, I said to myself,
if I tell these guys this result, they're going to tell me "You unconciously
applied up elevator without realizing it" so I repeated the process several
times with the same result. Then, to further convince myself, I performed
the maneuver again with approximately 5 degrees of DOWN elevator, aileron
and rudder and the thing still looked like an upright snap.
I have to confess that this airplane is no patteren ship and I never did get
that far before I had to quit, but if you have a good sim, fool around a
little and see what you think. I was quite surprised.
Georgie