[NSRCA-discussion] Judge Evaluation/Ranking

J N Hiller jnhiller at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 25 09:31:21 AKDT 2007

Ron, that is a lot of work. You guys did some serious head scratching to
generate usable data for evaluation.  What is not readily apparent is the
ongoing effort required to continuously add data and update the information.
The last few years I worked I was heavily involved in information gathering
and processing building management tools. XL is a powerful and easy to use
tool that was often too small for the data extracted from the ERP system.
The answer to any question always brings another and it became easier to
import massive amounts of raw data into a database tool where complex
queries could be used to extract information having multiple relationships.
XL pivot tables were often employed by individual managers to slice and dice
general query data to mix and match specific relationships to accommodate
most of the 'what If' questions'. I had Microsoft Access on my PC and found
it semi-user friendly and with the help of our in-house programmer was ably
to acquire basic user skills. Most programmers would prefer other more
powerful database tools but Access had many built in tools for reports and
user friendly queries such as individual judge performance and the ability
to present supporting detail with no more than a mouse click. If the scoring
program for a given contest retains the data it can most likely be imported
into a database program to be consolidated and queried. Redundant manual
data entry is probably not necessary if the program data files can be
momentarily linked for data transfer. I would be happy to help if I can but
I am a rank amateur compared to others.
Jim Hiller