[NSRCA-discussion] JR Datasafe alternative?

Ed Alt ed_alt at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 21 07:22:53 AKDT 2007

Thanks Jon!

-----Original Message-----
From: nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org
[mailto:nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org] On Behalf Of Jon Lowe
Sent: Sunday, October 21, 2007 10:11 AM
To: nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.org
Subject: Re: [NSRCA-discussion] JR Datasafe alternative?

It's called the MacGregor DataXchange, by Rotarsoft.  Works well
enough, but no software upgrades in over a year.  Never tried the
exchange capabilities between models of JR xmitters.  The user
interface is somewhat clumsy, and you cannot change every parameter
available in every model of transmitter, and you cannot compare two
setups side by side.  The Datasafe Ultra (No longer available) for the
10x was better in this regard, but priced itself out of existence, IMHO
  ($300????!!!).  It also couldn't move programs from one model
transmitter to another.  The DataXchange is better than the standard
Datasafe in that you can look at parameters.  All the standard Datasafe
can do is store settings.  You can't look at them or edit them.  The
old Datasafe I  (not the Datasafe II) also doesn't work with Windows XP
on every machine, and buying a DataXchange to replace it, rather than a
Datasafe II,  is a much better idea than an upgrade to a Datasafe II.
The Datasafe I had a 25 pin serial connector, the Datasafe II has a 9
pin serial connector, to tell them apart.  The DataXchange also can be
had with a USB connection.  You also can't upgrade the software in the
Datasafe I to handle the 9303 like you can the Datasafe II.

If I had any of the supported transmitters, and I didn't own a Datasafe
II or Ultra, I'd definitely go with the DataXchange.  If I wanted to
exchange data between two models of JR transmitters, the DataXchange is
the only choice.

Website is here:
http://www.macgregor.co.uk/radio/dataxchange.htm

The Rotarsoft site is here:
http://www.rotarsoft.com/Welcome.html

There is a demo program that you can play with to see if it is to your
liking.

Jon Lowe