[NSRCA-discussion] Judging-snap & spin

J N Hiller jnhiller at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 20 10:06:54 AKDT 2007

That would reduce the effect of inconsistent judging but I don’t think we
should go there.
I am flying Advanced and these snap maneuvers are somewhat new to me after
several years out of pattern. I am experiencing a fair amount of
inconsistency in flying the three maneuvers in the schedule (Avalanche, 45
down snap and 3 turn spin ‘all K-3’) having snap or spin elements. In
looking at my score sheets from three 6 round contests I find only two
occurrences where there were a big scoring difference 0 –7 & 8.5-3. Having
judged snaps and spins a few times it can be a very close call as to whether
the criteria is met or not and as a pilot I get the message that my
presentation is questionable when I get large differences.
I am consistently posting lower 6 round averages for these than the K-4
maneuvers (6 side outside loop, triangle rolling loop, 4-point). I believe
airplane design and set-up may be a bigger factor than skill, which is
primarily symmetry and positioning. Retaining the K-3 gives us more
incentive to acquire all necessary skills.
Jim Hiller