[NSRCA-discussion] Judging

Jerry Stebbins JAStebbins at worldnet.att.net
Fri Oct 19 09:02:48 AKDT 2007

Derek, I followed your summary pretty well until the first sentence in the third paragraph. "system works very well and in the end the correct order of finish is picked- which is what we want"
Where is "correct " quantified?
Who says what is "correct"?
What says that one judge being low on a maneuver is "wrong"/
Sounds more like the scenario previously mentioned as the "7 to 9 syndrome" is the safe way to score.
How many times have you scored a zero and others gave a score-in error- because the pilot rolled the wrong way? By the way throwing out the old requirement that the judges confer on zeros has only helped get us in this "perceived" problem.
Sure sounds like a "dry lab" approach to me! Easy to massage data and the algorithms to "prove" the result desired.
I went through the dataseveral years ago, that was available-and it was not all-on the "Judges ratings", and got the same gut feeling.
What the pilot sees/flies, and his caller sees, and what each judge sees are seldom the same for a multitude of reasons.
Also as a judge, have you ever had a "watcher" come up after a flight and say how great the flight was- and you had just given several zeros/low scores. Amazing how they change their perspective when you point out the obvious errors. That is assuming your memory hasn't blanked out the past pilot yet, and now you are getting ready for the next.
Jerry