[NSRCA-discussion] Problem JR10 X Battery Cassette

Jon Lowe jonlowe at aol.com
Fri Oct 19 05:21:25 AKDT 2007

I've had the same problem.  Both cassettes in the two 10x's I bought
used had the fuse bypassed by a piece of wire.  I bought polyswitches
 from Tower (Radio South also carries them) to replace the fuses.  They
act like a fuse, but auto reset after the short is gone.  Best of both
worlds.  Takes 5 minutes to do.

BTW, the circuit board in both of my cassettes had the fuse location
marked with a diode symbol.  Maybe they originally intended to use a
diode, but there was definitely a fuse in that location originally.
That is probably where the confusion stems from on fuse vs. diode.

Incidently, after ANY work on your cassettes, make SURE the plug face
is flush with the case.  I had one partially trapped by the cassette
case after I replaced the pack recently, and it would only make
intermittant contact with the plug in the transmitter.  Also, the fit
of the cassettes in the hole in the transmitter case can loosen over
time, adn the cassettes can lose contact, shutting the transmitter down
at an inopportune time.  I know of someone who lost two airplanes
before he realized what was going on.  I had it happen on the bench.
So I added some tape to the cassettes to make them a tighter fit in the
transmitter case.  The door on the back of the transmitter is not a
sure method of kepping the cassette in, so extra care is warranted.

Jon Lowe