[NSRCA-discussion] Judging

Earl Haury ejhaury at comcast.net
Wed Oct 17 14:10:21 AKDT 2007

Bob

Agree with your examples and agree with your view regarding the judges having the same perspective as the pilot. However, I feel that a problem arises when the rules require a downgrade for flying beyond 175m and a severe downgrade for flying beyond 200m. It's the responsibility of the pilot to train to fly within that range, unfortunately the skill of the judge at determining excess distance varies quite a bit. A good maneuver performed at 250m (not uncommon) is often not downgraded the required 2 or so points and scores well by some judges, but not by others who apply the appropriate downgrade. Of course the converse occurs, a maneuver at 170m is incorrectly downgraded as being too far. These variances can result in large differences between judges. While we're probably not ready for GPS scoring, making difficult judgments of distance accurate in some way would seem to be a positive step toward accurate scoring.

Earl