[NSRCA-discussion] Connector weights was RE: Connectors - Electric

Eddie Batchelor perkinsrx at centurytel.net
Tue Oct 16 15:47:21 AKDT 2007

OK the weights of the different connectors kept weighing on my mind <G>
SOO  I did some weighing.

Unfortunately I only had a few pairs of each size NIB and we all know there
will be variations in units depending on QC. But here's what I got.

I weighed 2 pairs of each but then realized Deans 1pair(1 male&1 female)
handles 4 wires, 2 on each side.

The bullet connectors take a plug for each wire so I weighed 2 pairs
(2male&2female) each, because that's what will handle 4 wires, 2 on each
side.

Deans  2pair                 9.302Gm/2pair or 4.651Gm/2  for an average of
2.326/plug

Schultze 4mm bullets    6.746Gm/2 for an average of 3.373/plug

Neu      5.5mm bullets   11.326Gm/2 for an average of 5.663/plug

Neu      6mm   bullets    6.647Gm/2 for an average of 3.324/plug

Of the choices of bullets I had available the 6mm Neu are the lightest and
handle the largest wire. Current & amperage is pretty close if not the same
on the 4mm, 5.5mm, and 6mm choices .

Now putting a 3.5mm(11Ga) wire into a 3.5mm connector sounds almost like
magic to me :-). I would love to see weights on the MPJet choices but I
didn't find any listed on the site. If anyone has them send me 2 pair & I'll
weigh them and send them back.

At first glance, and I made the same mistake earlier, Deans appeared to be
heavier than the Schultze 4mm & the Neu 6mm. But I was weighing 2 pairs of
everything.

In my setup I have 6 Neu 6mm bullets (3 pair) for a weight of 19.941Gm + 1
deans pair ,arming switch, that I plug 1 male deans into to fly so add
another 4.651Gm for a grand total of plug weights 24.595Gm

In the Dean setups I've seen usually there are 5 Deans plugs counting 1 for
an arming switch for a total  weight of 11.628Gm

Although Bullets are heavier and you need to keep the males insulated, they
are SO much easier to make up that I'm happy with them.

Eddie

  _____