[NSRCA-discussion] Judging FAI

Tim Taylor timsautopro at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 16 14:12:37 AKDT 2007

Don

  Are these AMA rules or FAI?

  If I pull a square loop and the first corner is tight and the other three are easier but the same I lose 3 pts rather than one? Who decided this?

  Tim

Don Ramsey <don.ramsey at suddenlink.net> wrote:
      v\:* {   BEHAVIOR: url(#default#VML)  }  o\:* {   BEHAVIOR: url(#default#VML)  }  w\:* {   BEHAVIOR: url(#default#VML)  }  .shape {   BEHAVIOR: url(#default#VML)  }        st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }              Jim,

  I think applying the normal standards of judging are very adequate.
  - maneuver starts and ends with a straight line within 175 meters of flightline
  - radii equal, this is a big one.  For 2008 the first radius determines the radii for all others in a maneuver.
  - rolls on the center of lines
  - rolls rate the same except in unlike rolls in the same maneuver (unsure this is in 2008 rules)
  - rotation of the stall turn, 1/2 span is 1 pt down, 1 span is 2 pts, 1-1/2 is 3 points and more than 2 spans is a zero.
  - wind correction in maneuvers, are they done in the same plane?
  - centering
  - box violations including top of box violations
  - loops round and rolls started and ended at the proper points for rolling elements in a loop
  - distance out, 1 pt for further than 175 meters and 3 or more pts for more than 200 meters (except rolling circles)
  - snaps along the geometry of the maneuver and all the other issues of snaps
  - spin, does not weathervane on entry, does not spiral, entry not forced, etc.
  - 1 pt per 15 degree rule
  - size of the maneuver relative to the size of other maneuvers and the position in the box
  - smoothness and gracefulness

  This is abreviated but this should be the criteria.  I use only the criteria in the rules and apply it in a consistent unbiased manner. It's simple, read and know the rules and apply them.

  Don