[NSRCA-discussion] D3 FAI

Woodward, Jim jim.woodward at baesystems.com
Tue Oct 16 07:18:35 AKDT 2007

In attempting to understand "how" the FAI scoring is delivered, I have
made more rationalizations, hypothesis, or excuses for judges than
anyone can imagine - which range from:

1.	Maybe I suck :-)
2.	Intentional bias
3.	Unintentional bias
4.	Ignorance of rules
5.	"Impression" judging

What I am finally left to guess is that a hybrid method of judging is
used by some FAI judges.  Pure speculation (beware):  When a pilot
begins disrupting a maneuver by 20 + degrees of error, the judging
standards are easily applied without too much difficulty.

However - when more than one "outstanding" flight is being witnessed,
some judges may confuse their roll from "applying-downgrades", to that
of "determining a winner."  Determining winner is not what judges do.
Normalization does that.  In the instance of intensely good flying, the
judges may be saying to themselves, "....  This maneuver is teetering on
an 8 or 9, but I just watched person X fly and I know person X is better
than person Y, so I need to score this an 8."  Of course, this is not
accountable to our judging standards of code of ethics.

Again - this is just a WAG.  I have made more attempts to understand,
appreciate, support, and preserve the integrity of our institution as
anyone possible could.  At this point I need the Masters pilots to speak
to how they judge FAI.  How do Masters pilots apply the 15 degree rule
for instance???  I cannot really speak to what goes on in the FAI judges
mind, but would like to know so that I can meet their standard as a new
FAI judge.

Thanks,

Jim

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and proprietary information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient(s), please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.