[NSRCA-discussion] Weather Vane or Crab

Eddie Batchelor perkinsrx at centurytel.net
Sat Oct 13 07:18:11 AKDT 2007

Ok
Let me ask a question that may be related to this thread   or is it ?
I have NO aerodynamic training and my limited knowledge is only what I've
been able to absorb from discussions with Nat   - so I have no idea how to
explain what's happening.

I used to ride motorcycles. I have owned two, a Yamaha XS1100 tourer and a
Honda GoldWing 1500 SE.  BOTH bikes when hit by a gust of crosswind on the
highway would lean into the gust, a lot! It was not me and it was strong
enough to scare me silly the first time it happened. After some riding
experience I learned to expect it and just relax because resulted in a self
correcting motion.

Is there any correlation to what is being discussed in this thread or am I
talking about a totally different phenomon. My first thought is that the
bike could be compared to the airplane  EXCEPT the bike isn't airborne it is
still in contact with the ground.

Until reading thios thread and rethinking all I've read I had believed the
airplane reacted the same as my bike but I wasn't considering the fact the
airplane is no longer in contact with the ground like the bike is.

Eddie