[NSRCA-discussion] Rudder

vicenterc at comcast.net vicenterc at comcast.net
Wed Oct 10 17:11:41 AKDT 2007

I believe that in the conditions you described, your left wing has to be a little down as soon as you break ground.  It is similar to the inputs that you will use when you land in the same conditions.  However, the speeds are different (gaining speed when you take off so the effect is less).  If you don't lower the wing a little the plane will come towards you very fast and you could cross the dead line and get a zero.  I bet that you will lower the left wing or apply left rudder to avoid the zero.  I think looks better to get the left wing down and avoid over controlling the rudder.

Really looks like is a complex situation.  We use yaw and rolling controls to try to fight the cross wind.  If I remember correct, there should not be a downgrade when landing for not keeping the wings level.  I am not sure about take off now.

--
Vicente "Vince" Bortone

From: rjo626 at aol.com
     You have to consider equal and opposite reactions. The CG goes through the air with forward motion. (kinetic energy) The fuse will rotate around the CG, crab, weather vane, whatever... in a cross wind. In
a crosswind, and the airplane at a high speed, the airplane appears to be flying "straight", but the track
is blown in the direction of the wind... The CG, the entire airplane. In this case, we wind correct with
rudder. Nose into the wind. At slower speeds, takeoffs and landings for example, (my airplane anyway)
the fuse rotates around the CG, nose into the wind. Taking off left to right, wind in my face, I have to
hold right rudder on rollout. When it breaks ground, the nose STILL wants to go into the wind. To hold
heading, I would still have to hold right rudder. If not, it "sniffs" into the headwind. You can't tell me you
all haven't experienced this.
                                    RJO