[NSRCA-discussion] Rudder

J N Hiller jnhiller at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 10 10:44:47 AKDT 2007

Oh boy, we now have a 90-degree wind change, right down the runway. Yes you
are correct, the nose will need to be pitched to the belly to maintain a
vertical track down line. Most of the time a stall turn into or with the
wind is more difficult because just before kicking full rudder the airplane
will need to be brought back to vertical or it will flop and the airspeed is
virtually gone. Carrying some power or bleeping the throttle or initiating
the stall turn prematurely results in a fly-over with a 1-2 wingspan offset
(1/2 span allowed) or more, however this downgrade is less than a zero and I
see it a lot. Immediately after the rotation the nose will need to be
pitched into the wind and gradually brought back to near vertical as the
speed increases. Flying in the wind can be fun if you have a back-up
airplane.
Jim Hiller