[NSRCA-discussion] Rudder Dual Rate

JShulman jshulman at cfl.rr.com
Mon Oct 8 17:36:37 AKDT 2007

The high rate rudder with high expo will work, until you get into snaps.
Then you might switch into high rate aileron with high expo and low rate
rudder and elevator set-up. Switching for a stall turn seems less stressful
than for a snap. But that's looking ahead.

I have flown both the Sportsman and Intermediate with low rates on all
surfaces. The "trick" to the stall turn on low rate is to NOT wait until the
last minute to start adding rudder. I like to tell everyone it's like adding
rudder like you would follow an expo curve. Little, little more, little more
and then full (only when the plane will not fly over the top). It takes a
bit of getting used to, but it works, all the way through to FAI also. I do
have a high rate/high expo rudder set-up for rolling circles/loops (along
with low rate aileron for 1 and 2 rollers) and those "O S" stall turns. I
prefer the low rates on rudder and elevator cause now I don't have to flip
switches for snaps.

But ultimately it comes down to what YOU feel comfortable doing. After some
practice, the rudder switch should become a motion rather than a thought.

Regards,
Jason
www.jasonshulman.com
www.shulmanaviation.com