[NSRCA-discussion] Airplane angle of attack

Matthew Frederick mjfrederick at cox.net
Wed Oct 3 19:06:35 AKDT 2007

I remember well when the first one happened. I seem to remember reports
afterwards showed that the pilot had a history of pushing the envelope with
the B-52. Back when I was in AFJROTC in high school and I was at a
leadership school at Barksdale AFB in Shreveport, LA, we went out on the
flight line for a guided tour of the B-52 and the pilot who was answering
questions said that with the B-52 you put in a control input and the
aircraft "thinks" about doing it... not exactly designed for 60+ degree
turns at low airspeed 1000 feet off the deck. The MOST memorable thing about
that tour though was when I was sitting in the pilot's seat, strapping
myself in, when the pilot realized that the ground crew had failed to
properly set up the aircraft for the static display and I was fiddling with
the ejection handle of a fully-armed ejection seat. That wouldn't have been
a fun ride punching through the glass without a helmet! Needless to say he
pulled the ground crew aside and I got to witness grown men become about 1
inch tall as the pilot tore them apart. I know, it's doesn't pertain to the
discussion at hand, but it's always a fun story to tell.

Matt