[NSRCA-discussion] Airplane angle of attack

Matthew Frederick mjfrederick at cox.net
Mon Oct 1 21:11:50 AKDT 2007

I only read the first sentence that Ed wrote and felt like chiming in. I have to agree with Ed here in the assessment that "It's not that simple." The airfoil has to produce lift... PERIOD. If the airfoil is symmetrical the only way it can accomplish that task is with a positive angle of attack. The flatter the airfoil is on the bottom, the less positive angle of attack required. This, however, has NOTHING to do with the attitude of the aircraft's nose as long as the fuselage is not a required component of lift (which I hope and pray it's not). Think of it like this: most of us have adjustable incidences on our wings and stabs. You can go ahead and move your wing, stab, and thrust line to a completely new line, and as long as the relative movement of all surfaces was the same compared to the center of mass of the aircraft the plane will fly the exact same in straight and level flight. The one big difference you might notice, however, is that if you put more positive incidence in your wing, your airplane will appear to fly nose-down at the same airspeed that it used to look level, and vice versa. For those of you having trouble with that "vice versa" thing... the plane will appear nose-up if you put everything negative. Granted, the question asked was regarding airliners, and I can't really speak for that better than Ed did other than to agree that it is a delicate balance of form and function. I'd much rather just talk about our small planes... much easier to diagnose. I don't know about you, but I prefer to have my aircraft to appear to be flying straight (not nose-high) when I make a level pass. Considering most of our aircraft have pretty much symmetrical airfoils, that might give everyone some insight into what goes into designing pattern aircraft. Remember the first people setting up with 0-0-0 on their airplanes? I don't know about you, but to me they never looked level... until the fuselage design was changed of course. Anyway, guess I'm done for the night...

Matt