[NSRCA-discussion] Wing Construction

Suart Chale schale at optonline.net
Thu Nov 8 06:34:52 AKST 2007

Once you have a diamond shaped template (2) it is actually very quick to cut
out the foam with a hot wire.  The templates may take a bit of time to make
however.   With a "honeycombed wing" using a syringe to apply the glue in
the center of your foam structure is the way to go.  I think I used a 12
gauge agiocath (plastic part of an IV setup).  You can get away with less
epoxy and it will certainly adhere as it is in beads much thicker than the
squeegeed on version.  I will agree though that you risk soft spots in the
structure that may show up or easily be pushed in by heavy hands as there is
no foam beneath.  I have done most of my wings the standard way with a thin
layer of epoxy over the entire foam surface and have never had that
delaminate either so I think it is good enough strength wise.  Personally I
do not think I would honeycomb wings again.  I still have a 60 sized Desire
with them (built in '91) so they do hold up but I do not think it is worth
the weight savings.  Coring the center may be the better way to fo to remove
foam weight.

Stuart

  _____