[NSRCA-discussion] OS 160FX First start procedure

JonLowe at aol.com JonLowe at aol.com
Thu May 31 03:28:16 AKDT 2007

In a message dated 5/30/2007 10:06:40 PM Central Daylight Time,
kysung at comcast.net writes:

Any suggestion on how to reliably starting OS 160FX on the first flight of
the day?  The engine runs fine once started, and all subsequent flights are easy
to start as well, but somehow I am not able to get it started consistently to
get that first flight going, and few times it has to be started right side up
– plane inverted, which really is a pain.  So, if there are some things I
should be doing to simplify this process, please share.

Always hand start it.  With the glow clip disconnected, open the throttle all
the way, choke the carb with your finger until it gets wet with fuel,
continue to choke for 2-3 more revolutions.   Reduce throttle to normal idle speed,
hook up the glowplug, and back flip it to start.

Sometime I have to hook up the fuel bottle to the feed line and pump slowly
to get fuel to the Perry pump if the plane has sat a few days.  Most times,
just choking the carb is enough.

Jon Lowe