[NSRCA-discussion] Paint

Steven Maxwell patternrules at hotmail.com
Wed May 16 07:14:09 AKDT 2007

Well I been doing some painting and haven't painted in 25 years so things
have changed. I first tried a $25 Menards HVLP detail gun with mixed
results, the biggest problem was it has a teflon part  they call an 0-ring
that goes inbetween the fluid nossle and body, the big problem was 2 of the
3 I got that part was crushed in manufacturing and as you would guess very
mixed results.
So looked around found  a few different models even ordered a De Vilbiss
starting line detail hvlp to my surprise it required 8 CFM well the small
compressors (mine 6 gallon 2 hp) is only rated at 3.7 at 30 and 2.2 at 90,
so I sent it back for a refund without even taking out of the packaging.
Most of what I found was in the area of 3.5 to 4 CFM model HVLP detail guns
except for one the Harbor frieght $59.95 which was rated at 2.9, so I took a
chance on it not wanting to spend $300 for painting once or twice a year.
Well I just done some testing on it and I got to tell you I don't see how it
could get any better great atomination, it comes with a 1mm needle which I
thought maybe a little big but to my delight the fan pattern is 4" with
moderate fluid flow and well reduced paint. The big thing I really noticed
was how clean it stayed during use compaired to the cheapy it was like it
didn't get any paint on it at anytime, no build up on air nozzles or fluid
tip.
It comes with a regulator that I put on next to the body and a filter before
that set to 29 PSI and the compressor to highest it will go.
If you looking for an inexpensive detail gun this is a keeper.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90978
I'll add that they have a cheap external mix airbrush that I used for
cleaning parts after painting which is just the ticket for easy clean up.

Steve Maxwell