[NSRCA-discussion] Wheel Pants Yes or No

Wayne Galligan wgalligan at texasairnet.com
Sun May 6 18:51:56 AKDT 2007

That article on the wheel pant wizardry was something I  had mentioned to
Bob Pastorello at a contest in Temple Tx contest a few years back.  I
discovered it on my own while trying to figure out the simplest method of
mounting wheel pants.  I have since discovered that there are others out
there that use the same method of fastening their favorite wheel
aerodynamics.   I fly or did fly exclusively off of a grass field for about
5 years and never once had a problem with having pants on while flying off
of grass.  As a matter of fact I believe they actually help in the floating
the wheels out of thicker grass.  Example that brings this to mind is at the
2005 NATS.  Lance and I where practicing at a local field that had some
pretty thick grass and clover.  It was wet from rain and conditions where
not favorable at all.  I had nary a problem getting up in the air but Lance
was having a fit.   He had retracts and small diameter wheels, he even had
the monster 1.70 Mintor to haul it up but was barely getting his ship in the
air.  I use a 6/32 bolt for the axle, a blind nut inside the pant and a
bearing area made of light ply on the other side of the wheel pant.  The
bolt is the axle and wheel pant mount.  I use the Bolly gear and wheel
pants.  The Bolly pants have an indentation to accept the landing gear leg
and help keep it from moving or twisting on the axle plane.  I have used
standard flat sided wheel pants also with good results.  A piece of 150 grit
sand paper glued to the landing gear leg  helps keep the pant from twisting.

Anyone interested in a few photos just email me off line.

Wayne Galligan