[NSRCA-discussion] Rule 8.1.1/Prefer No Qualification

Mark Atwood atwoodm at paragon-inc.com
Sun May 6 18:37:13 AKDT 2007

Just my 2 cents, But it¹s actually intriguing to me.   Most of us fly for
the challenge of some sort...learning a new maneuver, bettering ourselves,
beating someone else, SOME challenge.  That¹s why we fly pattern...otherwise
we¹d be sport flyers like the rest.

I love going to the nats.  Did pretty well in Advanced and Masters.  But
when I moved up to FAI I lost interest.  My position was locked.  Local
events had a predetermined rank (not bias...just a large disparity in flying
ability) so the motivation to practice was low.  The Nats... Well, for most
of us, making the finals isn¹t really an option, or even a fantasy.  I
neither have the time nor the natural ability to fly at that level.   Even
if I had the large amount of time necessary to make that ginormous leap in
talent level, I¹d probably choose to spend it other ways (two kids).

Sooooo...long story short, I began attending the nats more as a social
event.  Practice was eh...whatever.  The only ³Challenge² became how you
placed compared to other locals competitors...similar to a local contest.

THEN came the Semi Finals.  Suddenly I have a new challenge.  A new goal.
Something to practice for.  A reason to go to local contests and be
prepared.  I¹m excited about pattern again, because there¹s a reason to
compete.

I think a Nats qualifier would do for SOME...the same thing.  Elevate the
status of the competition...give people a goal..to MAKE it to the nats.  To
be ³invited² to compete in the National Championship of their event.  That¹s
pretty cool.

I¹m not saying it wouldn¹t have down sides...and those may be larger than
the upsides.  But it would likely increase local participation (More current
pattern flyers showing up at contests...not necessarily more NEW flyers,
though I think ³prestige² is a big part of why some people take the sport
up, and we¹ve lost that over the years)

-Mark