[NSRCA-discussion] Wheel Pants Yes or No

Fred Huber fhhuber at clearwire.net
Fri May 4 20:17:28 AKDT 2007

Wheel pants are an aerodynamic aid, reducing drag of the wheels a suprizing amount.  They also look cool. ;)

The plane would be expected to need slightly different elevator trim if you delete the wheel pants.  because the issue is a difference in coeficient of drag of the wheel, the effect will be speed dependant.

In essence you expect to need more up trim as the plane goes faster due to the landing gear not being retractable.  The wheel pants REDUCE the amount of trim change due to speed, but do not eliminate it.

Retracts with close fitting doors that completely cover the wheel wells (like a full scale P-51) virtually eliminates the landing gear drag, thus eliminating a source of speed related trim change.

OK... there's the theory...

Practicly speaking, wheel pants have weight (can be a factor in meeting weight limit) and they can be a royal pain to keep on straight.  Some models will trim out fine with or without the wheel pants.  Some the trim difference will be significant.