[NSRCA-discussion] Interesting "new" hyde mount

Mike Hester kerlock at comcast.net
Wed May 2 08:59:56 AKDT 2007

Well, it's not really "new" so to speak, as Merle has been playing with it for years.

I contacted Merle a while back because I wanted a really killer mount to work with the DZ 160 in my wood planes. What he came up with is nothing short of astounding.

I attached some photos on the RCU thread and the link is http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5801274/tm.htm
with a side by side comparison to the ARA mount for the same engine. After extensive testing here are my findings:

Pros: This mount has no equal in vibration and noise reduction in this range. Coupled with the Hatori 821 muffler, it's silly quiet. If somebody is standing next to you talking, you can't hear the idle on the ground...LOL

The vibration reduction is VERY noticable. It has effectively reduced the vibration to the point of an OS140 on an AR mount, and most likely, even less than that. I don't have any way to actually measure it, but my calibrated eyes, ears and hands tell me it's really freakin smooth!

And so far the pricing is VERY in line.

Cons: It weighs about 4 ounces. This is a little heavier than the standard ARA, but assuming weight is not an issue, the choice is a no brainer.

It may also have a tendancy to move around a little more at idle, thus requiring a header brace. I don't believe it moves much more than the standard ARA though, if any. This is more theory than anything else, because the engine has kicked a couple of times and didn't hit anything. It did loosen the header the first time around when we were not using a header brace. It hasn't thrown the header since.

Also Merle has my Hatori 821 muffler and header and is working on a soft mount for that muffler specifically to use in conjunction with that mount. That should be interesting to see what he comes up with.

Last I heard he is making small runs of these mounts, sort of testing the water. I have no doubt which mount I'll run in my new VF3s.

Just thought I'd share, because every once in a while you find something so cool, you just have to share it! Well, I found a new mounting system that I REALLY like.

-Mike