[NSRCA-discussion] Prop for 1.40 DZ??

george w. kennie geobet at gis.net
Mon Mar 12 08:08:57 AKST 2007

My buddy brought his YS-140 sport by the house yesterday for a break in session. He had a standard wide blade APC 16X10 prop on it and I was shocked that this prop was so undersized for the output that this engine was delivering. I tried to run a full tank through it running rich (tons of smoke and lotsa oil residue), but when we got to the second tank and I went to WOT I could hear that it was way over-rev ving. Cut it back immediately and ran and got my tach and checked it and it was turning 96. Needless to say, we only took it there for a few seconds and I advised him to go to at least a 17X10 to get the revs down to the 85-86 level. This prop was also extremely loud at these rpms.I'm wondering if he might need to go to even slightly more load, especially with 30%, which is what we were using.
What a Monster !!!!!!!!!!!
G.