[NSRCA-discussion] Chapter-5 Going too far.

Del K. Rykert drykert2 at rochester.rr.com
Fri Jun 29 10:04:59 AKDT 2007

My comment is within John's post.

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: John Ferrell
  Sent: Friday, June 29, 2007 1:07 PM
  Subject: Re: [NSRCA-discussion] Chapter-5 Going too far.

  RE: I would love to know how you determine a pilot bias based on score sheets?

  There is information to be gleaned from score sheet data. Just how you use it and how much faith you have in it is up to you.

  I have conducted many judging seminars on Saturday evenings at contests. I scored those same contests. I judged at some of them.

  ALWAYS the judging on Sunday is tighter (two judges scores track closer together) than on Saturday. I have felt that the Judging Seminar tended to make the Judging more consistent. I hope it is consistently better, but without getting scientific about things, I cannot be certain.

  I can also see that my judging is too sympathetic toward all the pilots.

  I have not scored the Nats since 2000 but I recall that there are many instances where the judges will track within 1-1/2 point of the mean for all judges for a round.

  You cannot make any hard & fast calls on what these numbers mean but they tend to indicate system faults.

  BTW, I think any maneuver that produces a big variation in judge's scores should be eliminated on the grounds that fair judging of that maneuver is unlikely.

  There are ways that the scoring system can be redesigned to factor out any malicious scores. One way would be to change any score that is more than some distance (2 points?) from the median to the median. That would have the unintended consequence of "tightening up" the rounds scores. Probably not much of a solution.

  The issue I have with that approach is it waters down the occasions when the judge that issued a zero was the correct judge.  Not catching the top hat not being inverted comes to mind as easy example. Rolling wrong way on rolling maneuver is another.  Why do the number crunchers they are more correct in raising the bad number when the more accurate somtimes is to issue another zero?

       Del
  Try to keep in mind the ideal condition is to have only one judge that is perfect in every way...

  John Ferrell    W8CCW
  "Life is easier if you learn to plow
         around the stumps"
  http://DixieNC.US