[NSRCA-discussion] Airplane Weight Limits

Dan warrior523 at mchsi.com
Mon Jun 25 14:14:03 AKDT 2007

  "After reading all the responses on this issue, John Fuqua has decided to amend his draft rule change proposal to require that electric-powered airplanes be weighed with battery, but be given 4 oz relief from the 5 KG (11 lb) maximum weight .  His logic is that, even the Intermediate/Advanced glow-powered airplanes use about 10 oz of fuel in a flight and 10 oz of fuel weighs about 8 oz.  So, halfway through the flight, a glow-powered airplane in the Intermediate/Advanced class, which barely makes the weight limit, is likely to weigh about 11 lb 4 oz.   The guys in the Master class would still be at a disadvantage, but a 4 oz relief is still better than a stick in the eye."

  Ron Van Putte

  I have really wanted to stay out of this thread but after reading the above posting, I could no longer bite my tongue. There is "no" logic in the so called amended draft rule change.  This would be a major rule change, that by concensus, would have a very good chance of having a huge negative impact on or sport and this so called logic is based on conjecture and on entry level planes that might be on the heavy side.  Fly electric, fly glow, fly rubber power but leave the weight and size rules alone.  The balance in the cost and the performance of the planes in our sport is very good but it could very easily be lost and to do so unnecessarily would be a tragic mistake.  Electric is viiable now and we are told it will get even more so as time passes, fine.  If those among us want to do the work and spend the dollars to use electrics (when other options are available) then so be it.  They can meet the rules now so there is no valid reason for change at this time.  I wanted to go electric in the worst way, awhile back, I did the math and it was very apparant, with the amount of flying that I do, that electric flight was way of of my league.  As the prices come down (not enough) I will continue to evaluate them.  However if the cost was not a factor I am sure I could meet the requirements of the rules just as many others have done to date, and it would would never enter my mind ask for a rule change to be passed if I couldn't do it or just to make it easier for one power source to be used.

  Dan Curtis

  Dan Curtis