[NSRCA-discussion] Airplane Weight Limits

Mike Hester kerlock at comcast.net
Fri Jun 22 14:11:57 AKDT 2007

LOL

Seriously that's real. I know that some people say they don't have any
problems with speed/wind, but my eyes tell me different. I recently watched
an avid electric competitor smoke 2 sets of packs, back to back, and as a
result will not compete in the 2007 Nats without a YS powered plane. For
this person to make this kind of move, it's like one of the signs of the
apocalypse. I watched the masters Nats finals last year (from the judges
chair) and the lack of penetration was extremely evident in the head wind. I
was not on the FAI line so I can't say one way or another how things went
there. But my eyes work, and I know what I have seen, there and other places
as well. When you have to bury the stick just  to maintain any forward
motion whatsoever, you will be hard pressed by the end of the flight. Simple
physics.

The problem exists, however I'll be the very first to admit it comes down to
mostly set up, equipment, and throttle management all combined. Therefore my
main concern is not how you guys handle it, it's how everybody else does.

I have spent countless hours on the phone with Dave Lockhart discussing
these things, and I can't tell you how much I've learned in the last couple
of years. Keep in mind I have nothing to gain or lose either way, I don't
fly electrics. But I do have to build them for others and one thing I hate
is when anyone has problems with a plane I built, regardless of the source
of the problem. So, I sort of take it upon myself to try and figure out
solutions.

My conclusion is this: just like with any glow plane, there is no substitute
for power. if you're marginal on your set up because of weight restrictions,
available equipment, or most likely $$$, you will pay for it when
competition circumstances deteriorate. Especially with older equipment.

In my opinion, the answer does not lie in a rule change. It lies squarely on
the shoulders of the equipment manufacturers and the guys having real
success to share thier findings in a truthful manner. We all know electric
power is still very much in it's infancy and the progress made in the last
couple of years is nothing short of outstanding. We're just not quite
"there" yet for Joe Average. But we're a LOT closer than we were 2-3 years
ago, and closer than we were last year at this time. I'm really excited
about it all, and I appreciate the guys who I build planes for because I can
do all of this research without having to spend my own money =) LOL

One thing you touched on that is real to me is the need for higher pitch
props in various sizes. I honestly believe the solutions to these particular
problems lie down that path. More pitch=more speed=no problems. I've seen
set ups that handled these conditions fine (Like the plane I built for Emory
Schroeter, and his packs are NOT new by any means) but at the same time I
watch a more standard set up fry right next to it on the very next flight.
John for instance was ok, but marginal. Luckily those packs were brand new,
but you can't tell me they didn't suffer damage. He put back more capacity
than the battery was even rated for. When he took them out of the plane it
was uncomfortably hot to the touch. the packs measured about 130 degrees F.

maybe the real problem is that by the time he finally gets a set up that
allows him to push the limits, the plane is pushing the weight limit. The
set up for this kind of power is really heavy. For reference, that airframe
itself was less than 4 1/2 lbs finished on the gear. So I think perhaps what
has John's hackles up is that most other planes simply wouldn't make weight
with a set up like that one. hence the need for a really expensive airframe
(I'm not cheap, but anyone with any building skill could do it too...but
then what's your time worth? Personal choice there and a whole 'nuther can
of worms).

Didn't mean to type a novel or even crack this one open in any more detail,
but I wanted to underscore my personal opinions that the burden lies with
the manufacturers and test pilots. And they are doing a great job, it just
takes time.

-Mike