[NSRCA-discussion] Airplane Weight Limits

Chad Northeast chad at f3acanada.org
Fri Jun 22 05:06:54 AKDT 2007

Interestingly enough, up here we changed MAAC rules (similar to how you
are setup with AMA/FAI separated), so that planes are weighed without
batteries.  Did it about two years ago so as to allow guys to use other
technology than Lipos (A123's for instance).  To date nobody has ever
bothered to do anything different, and I am sure most planes have been
close to the conventional weight limit, regardless of class.

As for FAI, come 2008 weight limit wont matter much.  With the shorter
sequences you could run a smaller pack fairly comfortably.  As well
there is a 50 gram allowance I believe, so you could be 5050 grams and
still be ok.  Just shortening the schedules will give electric a pretty
nice boost, it will finally allow us to haul ass in a 7 min schedule and
demonstrate the much needed wind killing speed that many say we dont
have :-)  Time to get APC to make that 20x16 :)

Chad