[NSRCA-discussion] Fwd: Electric Weight Proposal Logic and Rationale

Mark Atwood atwoodm at paragon-inc.com
Thu Jun 21 10:37:51 AKDT 2007

 Go Gavey, Go Davey, Go Davey...

In my opinion,  ANY change in the rules will be exploited.  And why does
there need to be equity or parity of equipment???  In ANY competitive sport
there are limits that effectively define what is and is not competitive.
Should wood propellers have a special rule to help them be more competitive?
They’re cheaper!  That’ll help get more people into pattern if we give a
scoring bonus to people using wooden propellers.   Sorry, that’s being a
little obnoxious, but that’s the way this feels.  I’d love to use cheaper,
lighter paints...but the burden of nitro is making things fuel proof.
Everything I use on a plane is decided based on what will be either cool,
competitive, or cost effective.  It’s rare that I get to have all three.
Where’s the proposal to increase the weight for Gas engines since none of
the current designs are competitive at the current weight?  Talk about
saving some money in pattern...whew...$3/gal vs $20/gal times 50 gal a
season....

I think the biggest point that Dave makes is that E power is still SO new
that setting rules now will be moot in a year.  By the time they’re voted
in, they’ll need to be changed.

We didn’t have electrics in pattern for MANY years because it wasn’t
competitive (Ask Dave Von Linsowe who tried it numerous times). Not enough
power for the weight.  No one argued for Parity rules.  The only reason
there’s an issue now is because they’re getting close to parity on their
own.  My guess is they’ll get there on their own too.

-M