[NSRCA-discussion] AMA Sequences

Bob Richards bob at toprudder.com
Fri Jul 27 02:11:51 AKDT 2007

Tim, I believe there was the Advanced class at the same time there was an Expert class.

  Novice, Sportsman, Advanced, Masters, Expert, FAI. Expert was dropped when all classes went turnaround.

  Bob R.

Dave Lockhart <davel322 at comcast.net> wrote:
        v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}        st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }                Tim,

  I was on a couple of the sequence committees back in the late 80s early 90s.

  When F3A went turnaround, many of the top US flyers flew F3A, leaving AMA Masters a bit thin.  It was very common to have the Expert and Masters classes combined (and flying the Expert schedule).  The combination of reduced overflight and reduced noise with F3A turnaround was very forward thinking and did much to save flying fields.  Many liked the idea of turnaround, but starting at the top class was a tall order.  Ergo, the introduction of AMA Expert Turnaround – but it was never intended to be a permanent class, just a transitional class.

  Regards,

Dave Lcokhart
  DaveL322 at comcast.net