[NSRCA-discussion] ESC

Fred Huber fhhuber at clearwire.net
Wed Jul 25 13:08:30 AKDT 2007

The simulated AC supplied by the ESC leaves one phase "dead" appx 1/4 of the
time.  Durring that time, the ESC senses the "counter EMF" generated by the
magnets passing the de-energized windings.

If the ESC didn't have this feedback, it would need a hall sensor to detect
rpm.  Early 3-phase ESC's had the hall sensors. (and actually thats a better
way to do it)