[NSRCA-discussion] Fuel Line Pressure

John Ferrell johnferrell at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 21 04:54:35 AKDT 2007

My memory is a bit hazy on the subject but as I recall muffler pressure runs at least one pound and maybe up to four pounds with stock mufflers.

The YS tank pressure engines vary from about 4 pounds (120) to 13 pounds (140 L). The 140 FZ is in the area of 6 pounds.

The measuring device is a pressure gauge (0-15 psi) from Grainger's quite a few years ago and the appropriate coupler & hose barb from the hardware store.  The T's are from the auto parts store (think windshield washers) and regular fuel tubing. I use a check valve and a squeeze bulb from Harbor Freight to assure that tank systems will hold pressure especially in YS installations for at least 30 minutes. It is a lot easier to fix an air leak than it is to clean up a fuel leak!

I used to use a lot of Sullivan soft tanks but I have found that when they are not completely full the tank flexes fast enough to defeat the YS check valve and makes reaching (may be holding?) pressure iffy! Considering the wide pressure variations of a muffler pressurized tank I think this leads to a lot of dead sticks and toasted glow plugs.

My measurements on piped engines with muffler pressure have led  me to simply avoid the practice.
John Ferrell    W8CCW
"Life is easier if you learn to plow
       around the stumps"
http://DixieNC.US