[NSRCA-discussion] 90 size pattern plane

Fred Huber fhhuber at clearwire.net
Sat Jul 14 16:59:59 AKDT 2007

Pitts muflers can be problematic.

Most are designed for loks rather than function.  If you have not dealt with
them before do not use one on a pattern plane.

Typiclly I end up having to plug one exhaust tube almost completely (just
leaving a 1/16 inch drilled hole to let oil out) and the other hole gets
partially plugged. This is due to the Pitts style not having much if any
backpressure.  They typically have double the exit diameter for each tube
compared to the single outlet tube of a stock muffler.

You're better off using an exhaust extension and letting the standard
muffler hang out in the slipstream if there's problems making the stock
mufler clear the firewall.

NEVER break an engine in using a Pitts muffler.  You'll never know if its
the muffler causing trouble or if the engine has problems.