[NSRCA-discussion] Masters Set-Up

J N Hiller jnhiller at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 4 03:19:40 AKDT 2007

Nat / Amir, You guys have got me going on this one. I need a couple more
calm days and more evaluation. I understand the torque effect should force
right roll trim requiring left correction, however this may not actually be
what I am seeing or think I am seeing. Entering the six sided outside loop
in advanced I consistently need a right roll correction as I push down to
the first 60 degree line or the maneuver plane is rotated about five degrees
which becomes really noticeable on the bottom horizontal. The most likely
explanation is that I am entering the first push with the right wing high. I
am having trouble determining if the cause is due to low throttle roll trim
or visual recognition of wings level. 90% of my flying this time of year is
in wind requiring a L-R direction. In the past the only way I could identify
pilot recognition problems was to fly the same maneuver repeatedly in both
directions. If the cause is pilot recognition such as in the low wing / high
wing syndrome the offending response will be to the airplanes opposite. This
will need more work.
When I started trying to fly the masters sequence I needed a little faster
roll rate and during differential aileron evaluation found that changing the
end points to 110% didn’t produce equal deflection changes. Nuts, I thought
I had the pushrod to servo wheel and control horn angles 90 degrees. Slow
rolls improved after adjusting all four end points to produce equal
deflection angles. This is more critical than I suspected and explains why
some airplanes flew better than others in the past. I now have a deflection
indicator sensitive enough to see about 3%. Is this good enough, or is good
enough never good enough?
We’re having fun now.
Jim Hiller