[NSRCA-discussion] Ackerman question

verne at twmi.rr.com verne at twmi.rr.com
Tue Jan 16 04:54:16 AKST 2007

Yes, you are correct.

I spend a fair amount of time getting this right on the workbench
before the rudder hingeline is even beveled. I find it much easier to
get the pivot point exactly on the hingeline if the leading edge of the
rudder isn't beveled to accommodate the measuring required. Once I get
it all set, I bevel the hingeline. Set properly, the cables maintain
equal pressure throughout the throw and my servo arm rarely matches the
width of the control horns. It's the offset, as you stated, that
matters. I've had equally good results using both offset and with the
pivot point right on the hingeline. I prefer to have it right on the
hingeline for simplicity sake and the aluminum horns that Lamar Blair
sells makes that easy if you bevel both the rudder and the tail post of
the fin. Hope this helps.

Verne