[NSRCA-discussion] Radio Info

Troy A. Newman troy_newman at msn.com
Mon Jan 15 21:35:35 AKST 2007

NAT,

on the 80% expo "high rate" I bet you could benefit from the Lin-Expo or the VTR function. Just select that rate by using the switch and then select VTR ** or Lin-exp as the type. I would use VTR 80 as a starter. It all depends on what you are looking for. I have not played with these high values of these expo functions to see what pitfalls they bring. I know that you can get hard into the "knee" if not careful. Then again you may only be passing through this point on your way to a spin entry or a snap. So it may not affect you much at all.

I used to use VTR on the rudder quite a bit years ago before we got into this snap intensive sequences. I used it for low rate rudder around neutral and then bam high rate baby for stall turns. Now I can't do that because of the snaps and the rolling loops and circles. Another cool trick from the past was DR rudder on the throttle stick. Again rolling loops and snaps killed this little trick too.

Another option for you since you are doing this on elevator. You could do a fancy mix, that uses Pmix 6, 7, or 8 and select a curve type. This will allow you to set the curve you want the expo to happen. Mix elevator to elevator as an origin mix and mix type as curve. This uses the elevator stick as the origin of the commands and will make the stick position you select to store a point at you inflection points for the expo type curve. You can then select exp on or off meaning it will smooth the points or leave them as "sharp V" transitions. Basically minus vales will subtract travel and positive values will add travel.. You could put a point near the end of the sticks travel that in the knee or inflection point on the mix curve. Say after 90% stick travel then the value is +100%. Or is you wanted all elevator to go away above this 90% stick travel then you would use -100%. You can have 7 points which include the end points where different values can be set.

This mixing is pretty cool and very powerful, but it can get confusing a little. Play with and if you have trouble let me know. There are 3 mixes that  do this so you can do it to all 3 axis if you want. Some of Futaba guys set conditions to happen on the stick movements. The 9Z radio and I assume the 12z and 14mz do this as they can activate a flight mode with a stick position. JR does the same thing but they use the method above to achieve the same result. Each way can get confusing. In the Futaba you get an entirely new model so Travel Adjust (ATV) and subtrims and everything can change without you realizing it. Especially if you make a change to the base model and forget to make the change in your conditions. You could even end up with a servo reversed or rate switches fighting each other. In the JR they make possible but eliminate the chance of making mistakes with travel adjustment and subtrims, but it takes a little planning ahead and understanding what you are asking the radio to do. In my opinion both have their advantages, but I like the way the JR does it. I don't have to remember all 5 flight modes or conditions when I change out a servo and tweak subtrim by 10% or a travel adjust by 3-5% to make the new servo work like the old one. I only have to do this change once and it carries through all FM's as a global change.

Troy Newman