[NSRCA-discussion] Sunglasses

RUDDERCABL at aol.com RUDDERCABL at aol.com
Sat Jan 13 06:10:02 AKST 2007

I just briefly touched on this subject for the Jan K-factor D2 article. As
has been stated, it is a matter of preference. My experience in finding sun
glasses proved to me that it is really a matter of trial and error.

Some of us see some colors better than others. Some of us are more  sensitive
to bright light than others and some have more or less depth  perception. Of
course, some like myself require corrective lenses and bifocals.  I also have
a problem with light that enters from the side and reflecting off  the back of
the lenses, thus the need for a wrap-around style. Like Troy, I  ignore all
those who say not to use polorized. I prefer the glare reduction over  any
small color shift they produce. Look at building your glasses just as you  would
your plane. Get the stuff that works for you.

The one universal problem we all have is that we fly in changing light
conditions, so there really is no one pair of sunglasses that will work 100 % of
the time. Glasses like the NYX with interchangable lenses come closer to this
than others.

The first thing you need to do is determine what requirements you have for
your glasses. Do you need more shading, more contrast, or color  correction. As
Troy suggest, do you want to look like a geek? Price and  your budget is
another consideration.  When at the flying field, ask  your fellow flyers if you
can look through their glasses. Ask them what  combination they have and use
this info to decide for yourself. Take your time  and don't make a rushed
decision. Then compare what is available in your area,  and don't forget to check
out the source for your regular eyeglassses  either.

As has been mentioned, cheaper glasses can work well, but they are more
likely to sacrifice UV protection than others.

After much time looking for sunglasses, I have finally found some that work
best for me. I have Coasta Del Mars. Amber lenses with green reflective
coating  and polorized. They wrap around and seal light from the side and have my
corretive prescription. They are the best sunglasses I have ever had. I also
have some NYX glasses that I fall back to when the sun starts setting and the
light gets low.

Robert Gainey