[NSRCA-discussion] From a New Pattern Guy

Ron Lockhart ronlock at comcast.net
Mon Jan 8 16:05:15 AKST 2007

Here is some input from "Outside" the committed pattern community.   I
forwarded a number of our represenative posts, and ask for his
opinion.    This guy flew Sportsman in few contests in 2006,  and is looking
at Intermediate for 2007
Ron Lockhart

_______________________
I like the idea of leaving the maximum airplane size at 2m.
Smaller in not better in the more experienced levels.

I do not like the  rating system I read about. If someone were to fly a .90
size plane against my 1.40 size plane I do not believe it would be fair to
give him/her a 20% lead.

If you were to limit the class of sportsman to smaller planes that would be
okay and if the sportsman sequence remained the same for a longer period of
time, That would be okay. Power should not be required for sportsman flying.
The maneuvers should be easily done with a low wing trainer like the Tiger
II or Sig Four Star.

As far as getting the newbie started that is a tough one. I know when I
started I was welcomed as a fellow competitor. Many of my fellow club
members took me on as an apprentice so to speak. If that didn't happen I
probably would not have continued in the Pattern community (thanks Ron, Dave
& Bob) But, I was still very intimidated by the talent and the models that
were around. Overwhelmed and humbled was a good way to put it. I am sure
that most newbies  feel very much like I did and had no one to take them
under their wing and coach them, this may be one reason why some don't stick
around. This is a difficult sport to become good at without a coach that has
some expierience.

My Icepoint looked like the beat up Chevy Vega next to the models like the
Vivat, Prestige, Temptations and Focus. Low tech airplanes should be
encouraged instead of mocked or criticized. If the newbie sticks around long
enough he/she will realize that a more sophisticated airplane is desirable,
but should not feel like it is a mandate. I have felt like my plane was "not
worthy" on a couple of occasions by comments that were made by others in the
 pattern community.

In the past I ran into egos and big money when I used to compete in Ocean
Yacht Racing. It got to the point where the big money was winning most races
and their egos were to big to put up with. Even though the little old boat I
was racing took second place at Atlantic City Race Week, and 2nd place
overall in the OC Yacht club, there was little or no recognition from the
"Big Boys" we were just a rag tag group of sailors to them.
Newbies may see the pattern community in that light.

We should all take the time, myself included to try to get any interested
modeler involved in pattern and competition. Show them that to fly sportsman
all you need is an airplane. We should take the time to learn and know the
sportsman sequence, so we could get that newbie trying the maneuvers that
they would do in competition. Teach them that you don't need the best of
everything to fly well. And above all, remember where we came from.

my 2 cents