[NSRCA-discussion] SmallModels...goodforthefutureofthePatternEvent?

JFGREEN jf217green at cmc.net
Mon Jan 8 15:02:55 AKST 2007

Hey!  I like the beer part! - Jerry

   _____

From: nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org
[mailto:nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org] On Behalf Of Gray E Fowler
Sent: Monday, January 08, 2007 3:24 PM
To: NSRCA Mailing List
Subject: Re:
[NSRCA-discussion]SmallModels...goodforthefutureofthePatternEvent?

Hey Tommy

Flying slower makes sense for most of us as it does allow much more time and
is easier to get the geometry correct. Flying the entire sequence at full
throttle is not a downgrade if it is smooth and graceful and all geometry is
executed properly. The problem lay in the fact that many say that if it is
not slow then it is not S&G, or one step further, if all aspects are not the
same speed then it is not S&G. This is not in the rules, and that is a
problem.
Hopefully, when that judge told you that you would have flown better if you
had flown slower, he meant so you could be smoother or get better geometry,
but I cringe to think that some judge downgraded you because he thought you
flew above his imaginary speed limit....that is what needs to stop.
By the way...I get downgraded too because my uplines are faster than my
horizontal lines.  Its a quirk in my brain that I am trying to fix, because
I know that when I fix it I will be flying better.....but its not in the
rules!  Certain guys in our district always hit me with this , and I am
proud to say that I never retaliate in the chair. I find it better to
somehow charge a beer to their account at the Saturday night dinner without
them knowing. That is true revenge for makin' up the rules...............

Gray Fowler
Senior Principal Chemical Engineer
Radome and Composites Engineering
Raytheon

Tommy Scarmardo <tretas513 at yahoo.com>
Sent by: nsrca-discussion-bounces at lists.nsrca.org

01/08/2007 03:05 PM

Please respond to
NSRCA Mailing List <nsrca-discussion at lists.nsrca.org>

cc

Subject

Re: [NSRCA-discussion]
SmallModels...goodforthefutureofthePatternEvent?

Gray,
You could not be more correct . A number of times I've been told by a judge
I would have
scored better if I'd have flown slower.

tommy s

Gray E Fowler <gfowler at raytheon.com> wrote:

"OK... make noticeable speed variations doing your maneuvers in your
sequence.... watch your score.

If you vary your speed... you're gonna get downgrades.  Prove it wrong by
varying speed but doing the maneuver the correct shape and getting a 10.  It

will not happen."

Fred you probably are correct, your scores will suffer. Daves point is (and
my installing exclaimations points) that this is not in the rules and any of
you that are judging per this criteria are wrong and are damaging our
beloved hobby.  Be fair people and follow the rules, not your bias, as you
will never know what the other judge's bias could possibly be...and I have
heard many idiotic based judging bias.
By the way I conducted a study, employed  IPDS and produced a matrix that
proves that such judging bias is the reason why the number of pattern flyers
has steadily decreased over the last 20 years. If you wanna increase our
numbers eliminate judges who do not follow the rules, it will be
approximately 74.571% more effective than creating a "new rule" eliminating
2M planes from lower classes.

Signed, with love

Terminal Advanced Guy........until I can get rid of my kids...

Gray Fowler
Senior Principal Chemical Engineer
Radome and Composites Engineering
NSRCA-discussion mailing list