[NSRCA-discussion] Spektrum DX7

jonlowe at aol.com jonlowe at aol.com
Mon Jan 8 12:00:52 AKST 2007

Ron,
Here is what I posted on RCU after using my Dad's DX7 over the holidays.

I've been working with my Dad's DX-7 all day, trying to get the Arresti
III I gave him set up. I'd previously set this plane up with a 10x, so
I can give a fair comparison.

Servos track more or less the same as with the 10x. If you use too much
subtrim, they won't track, just like a 10x. The servo matching servo to
servo is still the biggest variable. Minimize subtrims, and they track
well, same as the 10x. Didn't have problems with latency with the 10x,
this seems no better or worse. And, yes, I've seen horrible latency in
other systems.

Several things the DX7 doesn't have that makes it not very friendly for
pattern usage:

No variable trim rates. Easy to end up between trims, and the trim rate
is very course.

No throttle curve. I've made a quasi curve using the suggestion Pizza
came up with, but it doesn't substitute for a real curve. This is a
biggie in my book.

No conditional mixes. I use a rudder to rudder mix to get a higher rate
for stall turns switched with the throttle stick at low throttle.
Doesn't appear possible on this.

No origin mixes.

No built in mix for knife edge. Uses two separate mixes to do it. The
lack of origin mixing can affect these.

No multipoint mixes.

No split expo rates so you can get different rates for, say, up and
down elevator.

No built in mix for two elevator servos. Only two mixes include a trim
function, so you use one up to get this. Why EVERY computer radio
doesn't include this is beyond me, given the number of two servo planes
on the market.

No snap switches. I use them only for the avalanche, as I can get
better timing this way.

Sticks were the softest I've seen, even when set full stiff. A set of
HD springs helped. Sticks are smooth though.

Transmitter doesn't balance well at all on a lanyard, being very bottom
heavy due to no antenna. We added a lanyard hook extension helping this
a lot. This is a chronic problem with JR radios, and the lack of a long
antenna just makes it worse.

This is a sport radio, and as long as you don't expect more from it,
you will be ok. If you are used to a full function radio, especially
one as easy to program as the 10x, you will get frustrated quickly.

Just my $.02.

=

It works very well, solid link, no range issues.  My Dad has gone back
and forth between this and his 10x; he flies with zero expo and pretty
high rates all of the time, and the plane feels basically the same to
him either way.  He is VERY sensitive to latency and responsiveness.
Bottomline, other than eliminating frequency conflicts, I see no real
reason to buy a DX7, and lots of reasons why it may not be suitable for
a lot of pattern flyers.  I'm waiting for a module for my 10x or a high
end radio from them.

Jon