[NSRCA-discussion] NSRCA Dues Increase

Del K. Rykert drykert2 at rochester.rr.com
Tue Jan 2 14:50:50 AKST 2007

First I think we have to ask ourselves do we need or want to keep the casual
competitors involved?

My thoughts are if the NSRCA wants to encourage or cater to the casual
competitors they have to change their mind set. As it stands they discourage
and have driven away most of the casual pattern flyers. In my mind that is
the biggest pool of people to build from as others are happy in their
competitive niches they have found.

    1. Nats competitors pay / class.  If a class has finals and flyoffs why
should Intermediate and Advanced help foot the bill?  Prorate the
registration fee based on class and potential number of flights that
competitor could fly if they are superb flyer. Masters and FAI pay a higher
fee than Intermediate and Advanced. They require more work and cost more to
the organization to do thus should pay a fairer share of the Nats.

    2. Competitors that do belong to NSRCA should get a price reduction of
at least $5.00 at local meets and maybe $10.00 at Nats.

    3. People who are qualified NSRCA judges should be automatically entered
to win a significant door/entry prize providing they do judge a minimum of 1
round. Would love to give them price break also for making the extra effort
to be competent judge but feel that's to big a headache to do.

    Those that don't want to support the NSRCA and all the hard work that is
done to promote and help the SIG shouldn't get a free ride.

    To late to go back, but changes that make it harder for the casual flyer
to participate are going to keep or drive them away. Whether demands in
time/money/obsolete equipment, all take their toll. Schedules in lower
classes should only be changed every 3 years. Easier on judges and causal
competitors.  Many of my friends over the years that have left have been
casual competitors and time demands took them away from the sport. If NSRCA
wants to stay focused on being the best and most competent flyers only then
stay the course. My feeling is the Sportsman, Intermediate and Advanced that
shouldn't be the case. I would even prefer a ban of any sort of sponsorship
in these classes also.

    If you care to reply directly to not clog the list with my banter.
  Del K. Rykert
E-mail Address(es):
  drykert2 at rochester.rr.com

If you have something constructive that may be enlightening to the group
please respond to the list. Myopic views aren't seeing the problem. Think of
the poor schmuck who has no coach, no pattern club or pattern flyers to use
as a support network. Then think what they have to address to enter and play
in this SIG. Then  maybe.. just MAYBE you can understand the whole issue and
picture from the perspective I am trying to convey.

This is purely meant as food for thought and not attacking anyone's great
work or efforts to date leading and promoting the sport. I am not suggesting
this changes will be agreeable or practical to all but my view is it should
help the casual competitor if this SIG would like to encourage and keep some
of them as they do help support with their judging time, financial support
to events that are barely drawing enough interest to keep contests on the
schedule. Some clubs have dropped pattern event d/t lack of entrants. Clubs
get tired of giving up and weekend and losing money to boot.

                Del
          nsrca - 473
        AMA - 8928
          kb2joi