[NSRCA-discussion] Phoenix Contest

Derek Koopowitz derekkoopowitz at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 20:57:30 AKST 2007

I'll echo Archie on this - even though I did not fly, I did a fair amount of
judging during the 2 days - I judged all 6 round - 3 rounds of FAI, 1 of
Masters, and 2 of Advanced (including 1 of Intermediate).

The flying was excellent all around - the new patterns are challenging on
the most part - and scoring takeoff's and landing's is something that we
have to get used to again.  There were no mishaps except for the one that
Archie mentioned.

The Zeque was maidened in 25mph winds on Friday and then did not see
competition until Sunday's 5th and 6th rounds after the Focus was lost.
However Archie flew it pretty well considering it was "untrimmed" and the
throws weren't setup to his liking.  Seeing Mark Leesburg take it for a
"ride" on Saturday afternoon was quite something considering he'd never
flown the P7 sequence before and hadn't flown the plane either.  For those
of you that have the Zeque and are finishing it up, or have one on order,
you are going to love this plane!  It definitely will be something special.

It was also great to meet the Nebraska gang, the Wickizers (again), the trio
from El Paso/Mexico, and all the rest that showed up to play in the valley
of the sun.