[NSRCA-discussion] Futaba and pattern

Jon Lowe jonlowe at aol.com
Thu Dec 20 06:03:52 AKST 2007

As an unsponsored JR pilot, I'd say Futaba needs to put their effort
into catching up to Spektrum and JR with 2.4gHz systems.  The are way
behind, and falling further and further behind with the delays on their
mid to high end systems.

Second, I'd like to see both companies put out a 6 or 7 channel radio
with all of the following built into the software:
Throttle curve (s)
Built in mixes for Dual ailerons, dual elevator servos, multipoint
knife edge mixes, throtlle to elevator
Adjustable expo/travel in both directions (more expo on up elevator vs
down, for example)
3 or 4 flight modes
3 or 4 free mixes with trim, and origin mixing options

and decent sticks with heavier springs standard.   I have an old
Airtronics 4 channel transmitter I use for a simulator transmitter that
came standard with decent, inexpensive sticks and springs you can
easily retension without installing heavier springs.

Right now, to get the above, you need to by an expensive radio with a
lot of channels and other gimmicks we don't typically use.  The funny
thing, the helicopter guys get a lot of this kind of stuff built in to
even low end radios, but airplane guys take it in the shorts.  This is
all easy to do, and would benefit sport flyers as well.  The early ads
for the SPEKTRUM DX6i indicated it would have a lot of this, but
significant errors in the ads made a lot of hype, and the actual radio
doesn't have the capabilities.

Jon Lowe

Futaba is looking for some new product ideas for upcoming equipment and
they are interested in seeing what ideas we all have for the pattern
arena that could be new and inventive.  This could be anything from
updating current equipment to new product development.

If you could put some thoughts together in an email to me, I'll make
sure that they're sent to Futaba USA's attention.   I'll need to have
this back no later than the end of the year!

Thanks!