[NSRCA-discussion] Servo wire and battery questions

John Ford astropattern at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 12 19:10:23 AKST 2007

Hi all,
  Return-to-pattern after a long time questions...

  Question #1
  I used to use JR servo amplifiers on servos to eliminate noise and ensure strong signal over a long servo lead, especially to the back of the plane. Few of these, if any, are available commercially now, so I assume that there is little need for them any more? (Was never convinced they served a purpose to begin with, but I had never built a plane without them, and never had a problem)
  I will be using JR 955 RX and digital servos.
  Maybe as simple an answer as "never an issue, regardless of servo wire length".
  Maybe I should twist my wires?

  Question #2
  I used to use nothing other than large SR nicads for the flight pack, usually 1100mAh.
  I notice that folks are now using Thunder Power Li-Po batteries, some as small as 480mAh, and several around 800mAh.  Doesn't seem to be much capacity to run six digitals.
  I assume there is a Jaccio regulator to cut it down to 5V or so. Are Li-Pos reliable enough that only one cell is used, or are some folks using a SmartFly dual battery regulator that ignores one battery if it should fail?

  I appreciate any calibration on what the "standard" setup might be.

  Thanks,

  John