[NSRCA-discussion] iPod [was: Off topic]

Duane Beck duane.e.beck at comcast.net
Mon Dec 10 06:49:48 AKST 2007

An iPod stores music, a tremendous amount of it - usually hundreds of hours worth, on a very small hard disk, like one you'd find inside a laptop computer.  You have to use a computer to load music onto an iPod, using Apple's iTunes software.  It plugs into your computer's USB port - the same place you might plug in a keyboard or mouse.  If you just want to convert your existing CDs to store on the iPod, you can do so on the computer without paying for any service.  If you want to purchase music online through iTunes, it's typically $0.99 per song.
Other than a computer, there are various accessories you can get for an iPod, such as powered speakers (instead of the headphones it comes with) so it plays more like a "boom box," a remote control, and an adapter for your TV so you can play movies stored on an iPod (if you have one of the "Video" models).
The reason most people want an iPod (or similar MP3 player) is that you can carry your entire CD collection with you, which is great for long trips.  It's much more compact than carrying a CD player and a big stack of discs.

Duane

From: Ron Van Putte <vanputte at cox.net>