[NSRCA-discussion] reliable glow fuel pump ??

Adrien L Terrenoire amad2terry at juno.com
Fri Aug 31 18:40:52 AKDT 2007

The "pump" I am using is about 20 years old and has never let me down. It
works by pressurizing the fuel bottle.
I found some cheap shampoo at K-mart and bought 7 or 8 bottles. I
dispoase of the contents and thoroughly washed the bottles. On of the
caps was drilled out to take 3 fuel line fittings. I believe they were a
DuBro product that came 2 in a pkg. One hole is for the fuel line pickup
that goes to the bottom, the second is just a vent hole, and the third
one has a blood pressure bulb attached. From the pickup line run a length
of tubing that will be your filler tube. Insert a piece of brass tubing
that will snugly fit into the vent hole, and into the fill tube on your
plane. When not in use his line is inserted into the vent hole. For use
connect the fill tube and put your thumb over the vent hole. Pressurize
the bottle by pumping up the blood pressure bulb. When the tank is full
simply remove your thumb from the vent hole and the pressure is released,
stopping the fuel flow. To drain the tank simply start the fueling
process then release the pressure and let the takn drain back into the
bottle. Of course the bottle has to be lower than the tank.

Every few years you can pick up a new bulb at the local drug store for
about $4. Since I have 2 MDs in the family this is not a problem!! I'll
be glad to provide pictures for anyone interested.

A side advantage of this process is that you never have a bottle or can
that has 3 quarts or more of air evaporating the valuable nitro in a can
that is nearly empty. I usually carry 2 or 3, 1 quart bottles in my
flight box. One with 2 stroke fuel and the other with 4 stroke. Sure
beats carrying 2 full gallons.

Terry T.