[NSRCA-discussion] We aren't behind the times.

Mark Atwood atwoodm at paragon-inc.com
Mon Aug 27 19:46:27 AKDT 2007

To take that a step further...when was the last time you saw them televise
the Figure Skating compulsory rounds...which is basically what we fly...the
EXACT same routine.  They¹ve dropped the ³figures² portion of the
competition completely.

But I still think it would be entertaining to see scores...though I agree it
is likely to create problems.

-M

On 8/27/07 11:30 PM, "JShulman" <jshulman at cfl.rr.com> wrote:

> Has anyone else thought that pattern is just really boring? Lets face it, if
> you don't enjoy precision flying, there isn't much that can be done to spice
> it up. It's still the same sequences being flown flight after flight.
>
> As for the scoring real-time... the only one's that it would matter to would
> be the one's participating in the contest. Not necessarily just the one's in
> the class, but the one's that stay the extra day to watch. Until we throw in
> some sort of freestyle or combat, it's just pattern. Who would watch figure
> skating without music?
> Regards,
> Jason
> www.jasonshulman.com
> www.shulmanaviation.com
> www.composite-arf.com

>>> training (..  ideas welcome).
>>> 2. Posting of raw scores would  allow ³judges² to after-the-fact see how
>>> they performed compared to their  judging partners.  There is all kinds of
>>> good value that could come  from this.  Whether noted privately or discussed
>>> between each other,  it is good from time to time to check yourself.
>>> 3. Posting of raw scores would  help keep the honest man honest.  By posting
>>> raw scores, I think  there would be a reduction of bias any way you cut it:
>>> Santa-Clausing, Low-balling, ³teams², regionality, or other bias¹ would be
>>> removed/reduced if the person knew ahead of time that the judges scores
>>> would be posted.
>>> 4. And most importantly,  increased ³transparency² in the system helps the
>>> seasoned and new comer  alike understand the process of the contest,
>>> scoring, and ³how² the 1000,  900, or 800¹s came to be.  I believe that no
>>> matter whom you are, you  want to leave a contest and feel like you (&
>>> everyone) was dealt a  fair hand.  Transparency is the key to this.
>>> 5. OK ­ last one ­ it takes  ³scoring² which is a topic of much discussion
>>> during and after a pattern  contest in case you haven¹t heard, away from a
>>> shadowy discussion, and  brings to the open this topic which everyone is
>>> already discussing.   This would do a lot to remove ammunition from the
>>> conspiracy theorist and  such whom all of our districts have.  Transparency
>>> is good  J
>>>

>>> I write none of  this from the sour-grapes perspective.  I love this stuff.
>>> I  think the potential benefits from posting the raws would out weight the
>>> potential bad, provide more transparency for the competitor and also provide
>>> judges training.
>>>

>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Jim  W.
>>>

>>> CONFIDENTIALITY  NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any  attachments, is
>>> for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may  contain confidential
>>> and proprietary information.  Any unauthorized  review, use, disclosure or
>>> distribution is prohibited.  If you are not  the intended recipient(s),
>>> please contact the sender by reply e-mail and  destroy all copies of the

>>> Jason
>>> www.jasonshulman.com
>>> www.shulmanaviation.com