[NSRCA-discussion] Are we behind the times?

mike mueller mups1953 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 27 10:21:17 AKDT 2007

 YES!!!!!!!
   Flash cards worked really well. With turnaround there are ways to overcome the speed needed to flash the scores. Judges hold up fingers to indicate a score. The spectators can see it and a scribe transfers it. Right thumb is a six, right thumb and index finger is a seven. Full right hand is a ten and so on. If half scores you shake your hand back and forth a little. Under 5 is on the left hand.
   Pattern is a whole lot more fun this way and it helps to see what the judges are awarding. When we did it for years most of the people viewing it were very respectful. When you pull off a great maneuver and hear a cheer it's really exciting. I don't know know why we stopped this system.
   How would it be to watch a ball game and you can't see the umps calling balls and strikes? That is what we have right now. So YES!!!!!!
   I would love to see someone try it at a local contest. I'll bet it would catch on quickly.
              Thanks, Mike Mueller

Derek Koopowitz <derekkoopowitz at gmail.com> wrote:
    There is a thread on RCU under the "Classic Pattern Flying" forum about the team selection in 1972.  Way back then they were posting real time scores of pilots as they flew - apparently they had a "reporter" that looked over the judges shoulders as they scored each maneuver and then radioed them to someone that posted/wrote the scores of each maneuver as they were flown onto a poster size scoresheet attached to a board.

  With the technology available to us today I would love to see this at future contests - can you just imagine all the "oohhhss and aahhhs" from the spectators.  :)